Substance abuse professional or SAP for DOT (Department of Transportation) is an authorized person who evaluates the situation, makes a treatment plan and ensures complete recovery of a drug or alcohol addict. A person cannot return to duty without successfully completing the treatment of addiction. If you are an employee who has been tested positive in a drug or alcohol test, then you have to the SAP. Below mentioned are some points that you can expect while facing the evaluation:
- SAP has tremendous experience in diagnosis and treatment. They are trained on Department of Transportation 49 CFR Part 40 and regulatory agencies. Initially they look at your case and try to gather details. You will be asked certain questions through assessment tools for gathering maximum information about you.
- Never feel scared. Take it as a therapy session. Give honest answers for all the questions as if you are talking to a friend.
- After this evaluation, SAP for DOT will chalk out a treatment plan so that you get fine and get back to work soon. It is essential that you take the treatment seriously and follow all the steps that are suggested by the substance abuse professional.
- Attend individual counseling and awareness classes to get good education about the adverse effects of drugs and alcohol. They also guide you with superb ways of living a healthy life.
- Remember you cannot do any safety-sensitive work without getting permission from the SAP. The substance abuse professional verifies whether the person has followed the treatment plan and maintained regular check up and follow ups. A report about this progress is then submitted to employer. It is difficult to get rid of a habit but with willingness to change, the return-to-duty process may become easy.
Employers find American Alternative Court Services very effective and reliable to get SAP for DOT for their employees. For more than 25 years, it has been doing great job by treating people suffering from various addictions.