The clearinghouse has been introduced as the secured online database to maintain records about the CDL(Commercial Driving Licence) drivers’ who are covered by FMCSA’s drug and alcohol program. This also includes drivers with commercial learner’s permits (CLPs).
DOT has made the clearinghouse SAP evaluation mandatory for the employees who test positive for drug or alcohol abuse. SAP is the user in the Clearinghouse who is also required to register himself on the clearinghouse. As soon as the driver is found positive he must register on the FMCSA Clearinghouse and contact SAP professional. The list of the qualified DOT SAPs may be provided by your employer so that you can fix your appointment as soon as to complete the return-to-duty process.
- The driver registers himself on the clearinghouse where the employer then, enters the violation record on the driver’s name.
- The driver receives a notification in the form of e-mail or text that information has been entered on his record.
- The driver can now access the list of qualified SAPs and choose one which he wishes to.
- Similarly, SAP receives the push-up notification from the clearinghouse mentioning the driver’s name in the form of his connection request.
- The SAP clicks on “Accept Request” or “Deny Request” following which he can see the driver’s records if he accepts the request.
- On the initial assessment, SAP intimates the driver about his treatment recommendation and also enters the date of the final assessment meeting.
- SAP Evaluation, after determining that the driver has successfully complied with the treatment, enters the date of the demonstration which serves as the means for the employer who then, orders the conduct of Return to Duty test.
The result of the RTD test must be negative to get back on your duty else, you have to undergo the treatment procedure again (education or treatment) as suggested by SAP Evaluation.